Monday, December 7, 2009

Tarantino Could Have Directed the Green Lantern


For those of you that didn't hear about this little piece of news over the weekend.  Director Quentin Tarantino, revealed in an interview with MTV, that he was offered the opportunity to direct the forthcoming 'Green Lantern' film.

Now,  the Green Lantern is my favourite comic book superhero.  You might even say that the Green Lantern was what got me into reading comic books.  (Well for the short time I read comic books.)  This is why I have been excited for the film project ever since it was announced. 

I also very much like Quentin Tarantino's work.  I have Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 in my DVD collection.  (Still haven't picked up Pulp Fiction sadly.) Inglorious Bastards was an awesome movie.  Quentin is a comic book fan.  (Always a plus.)

So, when I heard that Quentin had the opportunity to direct the Green Lantern film and turned it down,  I was disappointed.   Then I thought about it. Normally when two things that are good are put together you get something good.  Like chocolate and peanut butter.  But, in this case I feel that Quentin and Green Lantern would make a bad marriage.

Why do I say that?

For one, Quentin is an R-rated director.  I can't recall any film that Quentin Tarantino has directed that was PG-13. (Tell me if you find one.)  Green Lantern is a PG-13 character.  I can't see Quentin wanting to work in a PG-13 environment, as he likes his blood, his four letter words and adult themes.  (And I can't blame him for liking those things.)  And so, I feel that he would probably find himself feeling constrained on a PG-13 film project.

Also, Quentin Tarantino loves to use a non linear story telling method.  Green Lantern uses a linear story telling method.  Could Green Lantern's story be told non linearly?  Certainly Green Lantern's story could be told non linearly, it just probably wouldn't be the best way for people to be introduced to him. (I could be wrong.)

So, I really don't believe that Quentin would be a good fit for Green Lantern, which doesn't say anything about him as a director.  I just feel that Green Lantern wouldn't be Quentin's style.  Also, whoever offered Quentin Green Lantern was mistaken to offer it to him.  I sincerely hope that someone else is on board the Green Lantern project that has a better grasp of who should be directing the film, or we may be disappointed with the film we eventually get.

In any case,  tell me what you think of this story.  Am I wrong?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.... I don't know... I think that would be an interesting combination! I see your point and I agree that from the studios perspective and Quentin's perspective this may not be a good marriage, but it would have been interesting to say the least. Most of the time when you combine to unlikely characters it sometimes makes for some good old fashion fun. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya you could be right. I'm not saying that Tarantino would do a horrible job on Green Lantern. I just don't think he is the right fit.

    Then again, I was wrong about Heath Ledger playing the Joker in Dark Knight. So we really could have lucked out here.

    ReplyDelete